Definition of Bombay
1 former state of western India; capital Bombay
Note: The state of Bombay was a province of British India 1937–47 and was divided in 1960 into the states of Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game