Blat·tar·ia | \ bləˈta(a)rēə, -ter-\
Definition of Blattaria
: an order of medium to large-sized broadly oval flattened cursorial insects consisting of the roaches and having the head concealed from above beneath the pronotum, strong chewing mouthparts, long many-jointed antennae, two pairs of wings when present with the forewings membranous and veined, prominent jointed cerci at the end of the abdomen, incomplete metamorphosis, and eggs produced in an ootheca
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game