\ ˈbland-, -aa(ə)nd-\
plural Bland dollars
Definition of Bland dollar
: the U.S. silver dollar of 412¹/₂ grains troy that was coined under the Bland-Allison Act of 1878 which provided for the free coinage of silver
Note: Designed by George T. Morgan, the Bland dollar later became known as the Morgan dollar.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game