Definition of big brother
1 : an older brother
2 : a man who serves as a companion, father figure, and role model for a boy
3 capitalized both Bs [ Big Brother, personification of the power of the state in 1984 (1949) by George Orwell ]
a : the leader of an authoritarian state or movement
b : an all-powerful government or organization monitoring and directing people's actions
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?