Definition of Berlin
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Berlin (Entry 2 of 2)
Note: Berlin was made the capital of Prussia in 1701 and later became the capital of Germany. After World War II it was partitioned into East Berlin, which became the capital of East Germany in 1949 , and West Berlin, which became a state of West Germany (although not formally incorporated as such) in 1948 . Reunified Berlin became the official capital of reunified Germany in 1990.
Keep scrolling for more
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game