Beg·giat·o·a·les | \ bə-ˌja-tə-ˈwā-(ˌ)lēz\
Definition of Beggiatoales
: an order of free-living bacteria having relatively large rigid cells often in filaments, lacking flagella and moving by gliding like some of the blue-green algae, and often containing sulfur granules within or on the surface of the cells — see beggiatoa
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game