Beg·giat·o·a·les | \ bə-ˌja-tə-ˈwā-(ˌ)lēz\
Definition of Beggiatoales
: an order of free-living bacteria having relatively large rigid cells often in filaments, lacking flagella and moving by gliding like some of the blue-green algae, and often containing sulfur granules within or on the surface of the cells — see beggiatoa
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game