Definition of Beauceron
: any of a French breed of short-haired, medium-sized herding dogs with a typically black-and-tan or harlequin coat and double dewclaws on the hind legs A black dog with brown markings on her paws, chest and ears, Raven is often mistaken for a Doberman Pinscher-Rottweiler mix, but she's a French Beauceron.— Kara G. Morrison, Detroit News, 15 Mar. 2002 Cara is a Beauceron, a breed of dog that is especially well-suited for search and rescue work because of their agility, intuitiveness and general good health.— Liz Best, Palm Beach (Florida) Post, 6 Oct. 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?