Basseterregeographical name (1)
Definition of Basseterre
(Entry 1 of 2)
town and port on the Caribbean Sea in the British West Indies; capital of Saint Kitts Island and of the independent state of Saint Kitts and Nevis population 13,220
Basse-Terregeographical name (2)
Definition of Basse-Terre (Entry 2 of 2)
1 island of the French West Indies constituting the western part of Guadeloupe area 364 square miles (946 square kilometers), population 173,000
2 town, port on a channel between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic, and capital of Guadeloupe population 12,377
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game