Definition of Basel
1 former canton of northwestern Switzerland, now divided into two half cantons: Ba*sel-Land \ ˈbä-zəl-ˌlänt \ (capital Liestal area 165 square miles, or 429 square kilometers; population 261,400) and Ba*sel-Stadt \ ˈbä-zəl-ˌshtät \ (capital Basel area 14 square miles, or 36 square kilometers; population 186,700)
2 city in northwestern Switzerland; capital of Basel-Stadt population 164,850
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game