variants: or Bamiyan
Definition of Bamian
town in the western Hindu Kush mountain range of eastern Afghanistan
Note: Two colossal 5th-century figures of the Buddha in niches carved from the rock cliffs at Bamian were destroyed by the Taliban in March 2001.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game