Definition of Baltica
: a land mass that was an independent continent about 500 million years ago and is currently part of northwestern Eurasia In the Northern Hemisphere, the earlier terranes of Laurentia, Avalonia, and Baltica combined in the Early Devonian (418 to 400 million years ago) …— Trond H. Torsvik, Science, 30 May 2003
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game