Definition of Balkans
1 or Balkan Mountains mountain range of central Bulgaria extending from its border with Serbia to the Black Sea; highest point Botev Peak 7793 feet (2375 meters)
2 or Balkan Peninsula peninsula in southeastern Europe between the Adriatic and Ionian seas on the west and the Aegean and Black seas on the east
3 or Balkan States the countries occupying the Balkan Peninsula: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece, and Turkey in Europe
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game