Bal·a·nops | \ ˈbaləˌnäps\
Definition of Balanops
: a small genus (constituting the family Balanopsidaceae and order Balanopsidales) of tall little-known Australian dicotyledonous trees having large simple leaves, flowers in catkins, and a nutlike fruit enclosed in an involucre
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?