Definition of Australia
1 continent of the eastern hemisphere southeast of Asia and south of the Equator area 2,948,366 square miles (7,665,751 square kilometers)
2 or Commonwealth of Australia dominion of the Commonwealth of Nations including the continent of Australia and the island of Tasmania; capital Canberra area 2,967,909 square miles (7,716,563 square kilometers), population 21,507,717 — see also australian entry 1
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?