Aussie rulesnoun, plural in form but singular in construction
variants: or Aussie Rules
Definition of Aussie rules
: australian rules football Aussie rules players don't wear any equipment, so putting on a helmet was foreign.— Dave Sell, Washington Post, 31 Dec. 1995 … Aussie Rules is a full-contact sport in which a clothesline tackle is a perfectly acceptable method of knocking a player down.— Scott Sexton, Winston-Salem (North Carolina) Journal, 18 Sept. 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?