Definition of Atlantic sturgeon
: a sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus) occurring along the Atlantic coast of North America that is bluish-black or olive-brown above with a white belly and a long, V-shaped snout The Atlantic sturgeon, an almost reptilian creature that can reach 12 feet and weigh 800 pounds, was once caught in the [Hudson] river in such large numbers that it was nicknamed “Albany beef.”— Robert Worth, New York Times, 20 May 2001
Note: The Atlantic sturgeon ascends large rivers to spawn but spends most of its life in relatively shallow, coastal waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game