Asil·i·dae | \ əˈsiləˌdē\
Definition of Asilidae
: a family of rather large usually slender two-winged flies with strong legs and wings and the proboscis a hardened beak used for sucking the body fluids of other insects which they capture on the wing — compare robber fly
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?