Asiatic black bearnoun
Definition of Asiatic black bear
: a bear (Ursus thibetanus) found in Asia that is usually black in color with a whitish, crescent or V-shaped mark on the chest The foundation is known for its success freeing Asiatic black bears from bile farms in China and Vietnam, where the animals are kept in tiny cages and their gall bladder juices—extracted through an implanted tube—are sold as traditional Chinese medicine.— Calum MacLeod, USA Today, 22 Nov. 2010
— called also moon bear
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game