Definition of Asia
continent of the eastern hemisphere north of the equator forming a single landmass with Europe (the conventional dividing line between Asia and Europe being the Ural Mountains and the main range of the Caucasus Mountains) and bordered by the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Pacific to the east, and the Indian Ocean to the south; has numerous large offshore islands, including Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Malay Archipelago, Taiwan, the Japanese chain, and Sakhalin area 17,139,445 square miles (44,391,162 square kilometers)
Note: Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world, is located in Asia.
see also asian entry 2
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game