variants: or less commonly ashe juniper
Definition of Ashe juniper
: a dioecious, much-branched juniper (Juniperus ashei synonym J. mexicana) of the south central U.S. and northern Mexico that has an irregular shape, a thin, peeling, gray to reddish-brown bark, and a lightweight, durable wood used especially for fence posts and railroad ties Dull green Ashe junipers—notorious “cedars” that begin to spew yellowish allergy-inciting pollen right about now—dot the slope …— Ricardo Gandara, Austin American-Statesman, 17 Dec. 2005 The birds use strips of the shedding bark of mature ashe juniper trees as their primary nesting material.— Jerry Needham, San Antonio Express-News, 27 Mar. 2006
— called also mountain cedar, rock cedar
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game