variants: or Arlberg method
Definition of Arlberg technique
: a downhill skiing technique in which the skier employs a pronounced crouch with the weight shifted towards the front and makes turns by shifting the whole body in the direction of the turn Ann was an accomplished skier in the shoulder-rotating Arlberg technique. But after one day with Willy she was converted to the new method.— Willy Schaeffler et al., Sports Illustrated Book of Skiing, 1957 Prior to the introduction of the Arlberg method, skiing was largely viewed as a somewhat laborious way of traveling or touring in the snow.— Bettina Hoerlin, Steps of Courage, 2011
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game