Definition of Arkansas
1 river 1450 miles (2334 kilometers) long in the southwest central U.S. rising in central Colorado and flowing east and southeast through southern Kansas, northeastern Oklahoma, and Arkansas into the Mississippi River
2 state in the south central U.S. bisected by the Arkansas River; capital Little Rock area 53,187 square miles (137,754 square kilometers), population 2,915,918
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game