Definition of Argentina
country of southern South America between the Andes Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean, south of the Pilcomayo River; a federal republic whose capital is Buenos Aires area 1,072,156 square miles (2,776,884 square kilometers), population 40,117,096
Note: Aconcagua, the highest peak in the western hemisphere, is located in Argentina.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game