Definition of Argentina
country of southern South America between the Andes Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean, south of the Pilcomayo River; a federal republic whose capital is Buenos Aires area 1,072,156 square miles (2,776,884 square kilometers), population 40,117,096
Note: Aconcagua, the highest peak in the western hemisphere, is located in Argentina.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game