Definition of Ardipithecus
- The Ardipithecus genus is a group that lived between 5.8 and 4.3 million years ago.
- —Charles Lockwood, The Human Story, 2008
- Originally placed in Australopithecus, Ardipithecus is a genus represented by an accumulating number of specimens from sites like Aramis in the Middle Awash region of Ethiopia.
- —Holly M. Dunsworth, Human Origins 101, 2007
- Its wrists, elbows, feet, and hands suggest that Ardipithecus clambered about in trees by putting weight on the hands.
- —Jon Cohen, Almost Chimpanzee, 2010