Ar·chae·or·ni·thes | \ -ˈȯrnəˌthēz, -ˌȯrˈnī(ˌ)thēz\
Definition of Archaeornithes
: a subclass of Aves comprising the earliest and most primitive of fossil birds, retaining distinctive reptilian characters, and including the two genera Archaeornis and Archaeopteryx
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game