Definition of Araneidae
: a family of spiders (order Araneae synonym Araneida) comprising the orb weavers Spiders of the family Araneidae build the familiar orb webs that are composed of a long thread of sticky silk laid in a spiral pattern on a frame of nonsticky threads.— Robert E. Ricklefs and Gary L. Miller, Ecology, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?