Definition of Araneidae
: a family of spiders (order Araneae synonym Araneida) comprising the orb weavers Spiders of the family Araneidae build the familiar orb webs that are composed of a long thread of sticky silk laid in a spiral pattern on a frame of nonsticky threads.— Robert E. Ricklefs and Gary L. Miller, Ecology, 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game