Definition of Aramaic alphabet
1 : an extinct North Semitic alphabet dating from the ninth century b.c. which was for several centuries the commercial alphabet of southwest Asia and the parent of other alphabets (such as Syriac and Arabic)
2 : the square Hebrew alphabet as distinguished from the early Hebrew alphabet
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game