variants: or Arabian Peninsula
Definition of Arabia
peninsula of southwestern Asia about 1200 miles (1930 kilometers) long and 1300 miles (2090 kilometers) wide including Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen, and the Persian Gulf States; in early times divided into Arabia Pe*traea \ pə-ˈtrē-ə \ "Rocky Arabia" (the northwestern part) , Arabia De*ser*ta \ di-ˈzər-tə \ "Desert Arabia" (the northern part) , and Arabia Fe*lix \ ˈfē-liks \ "Fertile Arabia" (the main part)
see also arabian entry 1
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game