Ap·ter·yg·i·for·mes | \ ˌaptəˌrijəˈfȯrˌmēz\
Definition of Apterygiformes
: an order of flightless ground birds (superorder Palaeognathae) having vestigial wings, long bills, and small eyes and being coextensive with a family (Apterygidae) that includes the New Zealand kiwis and extinct related birds of Australia and New Zealand — see apteryx
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game