variants: or apothecary rose or less commonly Apothecary's rose or apothecary's rose
Definition of Apothecary rose
: a gallica rose (Rosa gallica var. officinales) with very fragrant, semidouble, deep pink flowers having petals used in perfumery and potpourri and formerly in medicinal remedies (as for indigestion or sore throat) One of the most historical of the Gallicas, Rosa gallica officinales (before 1300), is the red rose that signified the House of Lancaster and was known as the “Apothecary rose” …— John Albert, The Homeowner, July/August 1983
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?