An·o·mu·ra | \ ˌanəˈm(y)u̇rə\
variants: or less commonly Anomoura \ -ˈmu̇- \
Definition of Anomura
: a tribe or other division of Reptantia including decapod crustaceans with the abdomen more or less reduced and usually permanently flexed (as the hermit crabs), being in some classifications placed in Macrura or treated as a separate suborder intermediate between Macrura and Brachyura
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game