Definition of Annam
region and former kingdom in eastern Indochina (now central Vietnam); capital Hue area about 57,000 square miles (148,200 square kilometers)
Note: Annam was partitioned between North Vietnam and South Vietnam in 1954 and its last emperor was deposed in 1955.
see also annamese
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game