variants: or Anjou pear
Definition of Anjou
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a large pear that has usually yellowish-green skin and sweet, juicy, relatively firm flesh and is more or less egg-shaped with the base typically broader than the stem end
— called also d'Anjou
Definition of Anjou (Entry 2 of 2)
1 region and former province of northwestern France in the Loire valley; capital Angers
2 former town in southern Quebec, Canada, that is now part of the city of Montreal
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game