An·a·bleps | \ ˈanəˌbleps\
Definition of Anableps
: a genus of tropical American saltwater and freshwater fishes comprising the four-eyed fishes, being closely related to the topminnows but constituting a separate family, and having the eyes divided into an upper and lower division by the growth of two processes of the iris across the pupil and a band of conjunctiva across the cornea, the upper part serving to see objects in the air, the lower part to see objects under water
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game