Am·phip·o·da | \ amˈfipədə\
Definition of Amphipoda
: a large group, usually an order, of malacostracan crustaceans (division Peracarida) comprising the beach fleas and related forms; being mostly of small size with laterally compressed body, four anterior pairs of thoracic limbs directed forward, and three posterior pairs directed backward and upward, the thoracic limbs bearing gills; being usually aquatic in fresh or salt water, and a few (as the whale louse) being parasitic
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game