Definition of American toad
: a large common toad (Bufo americanus) of the eastern U.S. and Canada that has brown to reddish-brown skin with areas of olive or gray, dark spots each containing one or two warts, and often a light strip down the middle of the back The American toad breeds in March and April. Its song is a long, pleasant musical trill.— John Manuel, Aububon, July–August 1998
Note: There are two subspecies of American toad, the Eastern American toad (Bufo americanus americanus) and the dwarf American toad (B. a. charlesmithi).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game