Definition of American toad
: a large common toad (Bufo americanus) of the eastern U.S. and Canada that has brown to reddish-brown skin with areas of olive or gray, dark spots each containing one or two warts, and often a light strip down the middle of the back The American toad breeds in March and April. Its song is a long, pleasant musical trill.— John Manuel, Aububon, July–August 1998
Note: There are two subspecies of American toad, the Eastern American toad (Bufo americanus americanus) and the dwarf American toad (B. a. charlesmithi).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game