Definition of American spikenard
: spikenard sense 2a On the moss-covered boulder at the edge of the creek was a handsome American spikenard, a perennial that grows in similar habitats in the eastern United States.— Robert H. Mohlenbrock, Natural History, March 1989
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game