Definition of American pipit
: a pipit (Anthus rubescens) that inhabits open areas of North America and Asia and has brown upperparts, buff underparts usually with streaks, and dark-colored legs American pipits strutted like chickens and bobbed their tails while feeding in the fields and along the roadsides. — James M. McCarty, Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio), 27 Mar. 2008
— called also (British) buff-bellied pipit
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?