Definition of American pika
: a gray to brown, diurnal pika (Ochotona princeps) that inhabits rocky, mountainous slopes of the western U.S. and southwestern Canada and resembles a guinea pig or large mouse The American pika is a small furry mammal resembling a mouse that lives in the mountains throughout the West, including the Rockies, the Sierra Nevada, and the Cascades. It has been voted one of the three “cutest animals” in North America.— M. David Stirling, Washington Times, 15 Mar. 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game