Definition of American Legion
the American Legion
: an organization founded in 1919 that is composed of ex-servicemen from the U.S. Armed Forces who saw active duty during wartime and that serves to assist veterans especially by providing access to medical services and the means to secondary education
Note: The American Legion sponsors many youth organizations in the U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game