Definition of American Legion
the American Legion
: an organization founded in 1919 that is composed of ex-servicemen from the U.S. Armed Forces who saw active duty during wartime and that serves to assist veterans especially by providing access to medical services and the means to secondary education
Note: The American Legion sponsors many youth organizations in the U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game