variants: or less commonly American Eskimo Dog or American Eskimo
Definition of American Eskimo dog
: any of a breed of small or medium-sized dogs developed in the U.S. from the spitz type that have a thick white coat, erect triangular ears, and a tail densely covered with long hair The breed usually makes a good pet, and adult American Eskimo dogs grow no larger than 25 to 30 pounds each.— Robert Kelly, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 8 Feb. 1999 The American Eskimo Dog is intelligent, alert and friendly, although slightly conservative. — The Complete Dog Book, 19th edition, 1997 American Eskimos are recognized for their endless reserves of energy and guard-dog instincts, and amid all the hubbub of a dog show, she is easily distracted.— Jeremy Brown, Corpus Christi Caller-Times, 11 Feb. 2002
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game