variants: or less commonly America-firster
plural America Firsters also America-firsters
Definition of America Firster
1 : a member of a former organization (the America First Committee) that opposed U.S. entry into World War II
2 : an American who believes that the interests of the U.S. should always take priority over those of other countries and that the U.S. should avoid involvement in international affairs Meanwhile, grass-roots conservative activists, from Christian social conservatives who felt betrayed by Carter to America-firsters outraged by the loss of the Panama Canal, had mobilized like never before …— Steve Kornacki, New York Observer, 26 June 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?