Definition of Alps
mountain system in south central Europe extending from the Mediterranean coast at the border between France and Italy to the western Balkan Peninsula
Note: The sources of the Rhine, Rhône, and Po rivers are located in the Alps.— see mont blanc
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game