Definition of Alphecca
: a white binary star of the second magnitude that is the brightest star in the constellation Corona Borealis The brightest star in Corona Borealis is Alphecca, a hot bluish-white star about 75 light-years away—about 435 trillion miles. The light we see from Alphecca tonight left that star in 1936, when FDR was president.— Mike Lynch, St. Paul (Minnesota) Pioneer Press, 4 June 2011
— called also Alpha Coronae Borealis
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game