variants: or Alamanni \ ˌa-lə-ˈma-ˌnī , -ˈma-nē \
Definition of Alemanni
: a predominantly Suevian coalition of Germanic peoples first mentioned in the 3d century a.d. that settled in the area between the Main and Danube rivers and whose descendants are German-speaking inhabitants of Alsace, Switzerland, and southwestern Germany
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game