Al·cy·o·nar·ia | \ ˌal-sē-ə-ˈner-ē-ə\
Definition of Alcyonaria
: a subclass or order of Anthozoa including chiefly compound coelenterates having polyps with 8-branched tentacles and eight septa and comprising the Stolonifera, Alcyonacea, Gorgonacea, and Pennatulacea
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game