Definition of Alcor
: a faint star of the fourth magnitude that is located near Mizar in the handle of the Big Dipper And it's at the bend of the Dipper's handle that an interesting object resides. Look here to spot a “double” star. These two are known by their proper names, Mizar, and its fainter companion, Alcor, also called the “horse and rider.”— Dennis Mammana, Newsday, 28 May 2011
— called also 80 Ursae Majoris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game