Definition of Alcor
: a faint star of the fourth magnitude that is located near Mizar in the handle of the Big Dipper And it's at the bend of the Dipper's handle that an interesting object resides. Look here to spot a “double” star. These two are known by their proper names, Mizar, and its fainter companion, Alcor, also called the “horse and rider.”— Dennis Mammana, Newsday, 28 May 2011
— called also 80 Ursae Majoris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game