Al·ci·dae | \ ˈal-sə-ˌdē \
Definition of Alcidae
: a family of diving birds (order Charadriiformes) having short wings and tail, webbed feet, a large head and heavy body, and thick compact plumage, being confined to the northern parts of the northern hemisphere, and including the auks, puffins, guillemots, murres, and related forms
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game