Definition of Alaska
state (territory 1912–59) of the U.S. in northwestern North America bounded by the Arctic and Pacific oceans and bordering on Canada; capital Juneau area 591,004 square miles (1,530,700 square kilometers), making it by far the largest state, population 710,231
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game